Judy Burges or Steve Smith: Which Legislator Supports More Nutso Bills?
Believe it or not, after listening to Republican state Senator Judy Burges run her mouth on an Agenda 21 conspiracy theory earlier this week, we're not actually sure if Burges is behind the craziest legislation at the capitol this session.
There's also Republican Representative Steve Smith, who's more of a young Russell Pearce than his is a conspiracy theorist, but some of the legislation he supports sucks nonetheless.
So, we'll let you be the judge, dear reader. We'll list out the nutso legislation we could find that's sponsored by either lawmaker, and you decide which one's more nuts.
Since both legislators are sponsoring dozens of bills, we're bound to miss something, so don't shoot us if we miss your favorite crazy bill.
- SB 1403: Putting a statewide ban on anything in Agenda 21
- SB 1213: Letting teachers drop their opinions on "controversial" subjects, like global warming or evolution
- HB 2573: Banning implementation of parts of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 (The Defense Department's Budget)
- SB 1112: Banning the enforcement of new federal gun laws
- HB 2574: Bans police from using drones without a search warrant
- HB 2290: A check to Russell Pearce from the taxpayers
- HB 2284: Mandatory pledge of allegiance for all public-school students
- HB 2291: Banning the enforcement of new federal gun laws
- HB 2993: Turn hospital workers into immigration agents
- HB 2467: High school loyalty oath
Cast your vote below:
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.