The Paradise Valley Police Department confirmed today that five people have been arrested in connection with the murders of Glenna and Lawrence Shapiro, whose bodies were found bound and burned inside their Paradise Valley home last week.
Police say the five arrested are the "major suspects" in the case, but that it's still an "open investigation," and that others may be on the loose.
The couple was found dead in their home near 40th Street and Camelback Road last Monday morning. When police got to the Shapiros' house, it was on fire. The Shapiros were bound and burned beyond recognition.
The only reason police went to the home was because they found a car registered to the Shapiros on fire near 7th Street and Union Hills Drive before discovering the couple's bodies. After finding the car, Paradise Valley police went to the home -- and that's when they discovered the house was on fire, and there were two bodies inside.
The suspects arrested -- and the charges on which they've been booked -- are:
- Michael Lee Crane, 31, residence unknown, two counts first-degree murder; two counts kidnapping; two counts of armed robbery; one count of burglary; one count of arson.
- Kelly Steward, 29, of Glendale, one count of theft; one count trafficking in stolen property.
- Brittnay Beinhauer, 27, of Tempe: two counts of theft.
- Shawn Nicloy, 29, Phoenix: one count trafficking in stolen property, one count hindering prosecution.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Danielle Rossman, 26, Phoenix: one count of possession of stolen property, one count of trafficking in stolen property and one count hindering prosecution.
According to the Arizona Department of Corrections website, Crane and Nicloy each have served time in an Arizona prison.
Police remain tight-lipped about the investigation, but say statements made by some of the people in custody led to several of the arrests.
We should have more information tomorrow when we get our hands on the arrest reports for each of the suspects. Check back for updates.