Matt Salmon Makes the Revolving Door Turn Once More, Defeats Kirk Adams
Republican Congressman-turned-lobbyist Matt Salmon is now a Republican nominee for Congress in Arizona's Fifth Congressional District, after he defeated former state House Speaker Kirk Adams last night.
The win all but assures him the Congressional seat in the heavily Republican district, though he will face a Democratic challenger in November.
Given Salmon's time on K Street, Adams had some material to work with, but Salmon had the money and GOP support.
Salmon did have some goofy and strange moments during his campaign, but nothing that quite compared with the David Schweikert/Ben Quayle shouting match:
- Congressional Candidate Matt Salmon is a Cowboy Now (That He's Running For Office in Arizona)
- Joe Arpaio to Host Fundraiser For Matt Salmon -- a Man Who Doesn't Like Him, Doesn't Trust Him, and Doesn't Think He's "Playing With a Full Deck"
- Matt Salmon Still Refuses to Explain Joe Arpaio Switcheroo
- Congressional Candidate Matt Salmon Says Lobbyist Matt Salmon Never Lobbied for "Obamacare"; Kirk Adams Says Otherwise
- Matt Salmon May or May Not Have Compared Kirk Adams to the Guy Who Approved Jesus' Execution
- Matt Salmon's Big on the New Jesus (Who Claims He Saved Hitler's Soul)
Arizona Coyotes vs. San Jose Sharks
TicketsSat., Sep. 23, 6:00pm
Arizona Cardinals Game Zone - 9/25 - Not A Game Ticket
TicketsMon., Sep. 25, 2:15pm
Arizona Cardinals vs. Dallas Cowboys
TicketsMon., Sep. 25, 5:30pm
Arizona Diamondbacks vs. San Francisco Giants
TicketsMon., Sep. 25, 6:40pm
WWE Smackdown Live
TicketsTue., Sep. 26, 4:45pm
Salmon topped Adams 54 percent to 46 percent, and probably can put his campaign on cruise control for the general election, since he shouldn't have trouble getting the majority of votes from the Mormon-laden district.
"This is a great win, but now we turn out sights towards November and the General Election," Salmon said in his cookie-cutter victory statement. "We will take nothing for granted and will do everything we need to make sure that we win in November. In addition, we will be turning our attention towards standing up to President Obama and making sure that he does not receive another term. Our future is at stake."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.