Michael Marin Probably Took Cyanide, MCSO Says; Joe Arpaio Tells Everyone Where to Buy It
Michael Marin probably popped a cyanide pill after a jury handed down a guilty verdict against him in his arson case, according to Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Marin collapsed in the courtroom a few minutes after he was declared guilty of burning down his Biltmore Estates mansion, and was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Arpaio says Marin ordered a canister of sodium cyanide off the Internet in 2011, before the trial, and had it sent by Fed-Ex straight to his doorstep.
After Marin died, his son found an email his father had sent him, saying to check his car -- which he had left in Mesa -- if things didn't go his way in court.
Marin's family got this information over to MCSO, and investigators found the clearly labeled canister of cyanide in his car.
An autopsy's still pending on Marin, but Arpaio says "all indications point to suicide."
Detectives didn't actually open the cyanide canister, Arpaio says, but they said it felt heavy, like it was filled with powder.
MCSO suspects he put some of the powder in a capsule, brought it to court, and swallowed it after the guilty verdict came in.
Meanwhile, Arpaio pointed out that Marin bought the canister from a website called chemical-supermarket.com for the price of $68.64.
He noted the "irony" of it being on sale today for $34.32.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- Arizona Man Shoots Himself in the Head While Trying to Demonstrate Gun Safety Feature
Sat., Sep. 12, 6:00pm
Sat., Sep. 12, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 13, 1:05pm
Mon., Sep. 14, 6:40pm
- The Time Jared from Subway Hit On Me
- Ecologist Dies on Rugged Grand Canyon Trail After Falling in Gully