New Times Writers and Designers Up for Six National Journalism Awards
New Times has come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass -- and we're all out of bubblegum.
New Times writers and designers have been nominated sixfold for this year's Association of Alternative Newsmedia's AltWeekly Awards.
This comes a month after raking in 30 journalism awards, including first places for investigative reporting, immigration coverage, news and opinion blogging, and design from the Arizona Press Club.
And the finalists are:
- Stephen Lemons -- political column: Recalling Russell Pearce; His Own Worst Enemy; and Kissing His Political Career Goodbye
- Jason Woodbury -- music reporting/criticism: Premier Queensryche Tribute Band Lived the Dream; Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, and The Walkmen; and Is Aaron Lewis the World's Most Obnoxious Country-Western Wanna-Be?
Chow Bella -- staff blog: Tucson's Cafe 54 Serves the Mentally Ill; Horchata Bread Pudding; Kim Porter's Ham Taco Christmas; Five Tips for Making the Perfect Eggnog; and Where's the Last Great Restaurant You Dined?
- Kyle T. Webster -- illustration: Hindsight
- Staff -- innovation/format buster: Best of Phoenix Map
- Robrt L. Pela -- arts criticism: Weird-Looking Churches; Leave It to the Kids; and Refugee Community Training Garden
The winners will be announced on June 8, during the annual AAN Convention in Detroit.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.