Yesterday, President Obama released his plan to curb gun violence, a plan that consists of both executive orders and recommendations for Congress.
As the "Colt Single Action Army Revolver" state, Arizona's probably got a lot of folks who are concerned about changing gun laws.
All of the details can be found on the White House website, but Obama's press office released some more concise explanations of what's being proposed:
- Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
- Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.
- Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
- Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
- Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
- Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
- End the freeze on gun violence research.
- Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
- Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
- Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.
As you can imagine, those final five points rely on extra funding, in one way or another.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
In general, do Obama's gun-control proposals sound good to you?
Cast your vote below: