Phoenix Coyotes Now Short 33 Games -- NHL Cancels Games Through December 30
Here's the state of pro sports in the Valley: baseball's in the middle of the off-season, the Phoenix Suns have already found the basement of their division, the Arizona Cardinals totally suck, and the Phoenix Coyotes don't even get to play.
We can further explain that last part: the NHL announced today that it's canceled all of the games through December 30 -- the eighth such cancellation this year, if you include the preseason and the Winter Classic.
That means the Coyotes have now lost 33 games of this season.
a complete miracle occurs the NHL Players' Association and the NHL can come to terms on a collective bargaining agreement without more game cancellations, the Coyotes' 49-game season would kick off on New Year's Eve, when Claude Giroux and the Philadelphia Flyers are scheduled to come to town.
Don't hold your breath, though -- as we just mentioned, the NHL has had to announce game cancellations eight times since September.
Even after meeting with federal mediators for a couple days, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a press release that "the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time."
So, find a list below of alternatives to watching the Valley's most-recent not-sucking professional sports team:
- Creep at the Ice Den
- Go to Prescott Valley and watch the Arizona Sundogs
- ASU's hockey team doesn't suck
- Go to Russia, or some other country with high-grade hockey
- Play NHL 13 for Playstation and Xbox
- Watch things that you've already watched on NHL Network
- Write angry letters to Gary Bettman, but don't send them
- Read BizNasty's tweets
- Sulk and pout
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss Phoenix New Times' biggest stories.
- ASU Writing Instructor Describes Her Cannabis "Overdose"
Thu., Dec. 10, 6:25pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 7:00pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 7:30pm
Fri., Dec. 11, 7:30pm
- Arizona Man Tries to Pick Up Girlfriend From Jail in Stolen Truck, Becomes Meme Fodder
- FBI Concerned ISIS Is Recruiting Phoenix High Schoolers, Ex-Phoenix Police Union Boss Says