Scorpion Stings Another Traveler at Sky Harbor Airport; Officials Don't Know Where Bug Came From
Sky Harbor travelers: 0
Last week, a local guy got stung on a plane from Phoenix to Indianapolis. Yesterday, a New Jersey man was stung in the neck as he waited in line at Terminal 2's security checkpoint.
Phoenix Mercury vs. Los Angeles Sparks
TicketsSat., Jun. 10, 7:00pm
Phoenix Rising Football Club vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
TicketsSat., Jun. 10, 7:30pm
Arizona Rattlers vs. Cedar Rapids Titans
TicketsSun., Jun. 11, 3:00pm
All You Can Eat Value Pack - Mercury v Sky
TicketsFri., Jun. 16, 7:00pm
Just a coincidence, says Alisa Smith, spokeswoman for Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
"We do not have an infestation of scorpions here," Smith tells us.
Cris Belfer, 19, was treated and released for the sting, missing his flight. Smith says the man, who came to Arizona for a visit, eventually made it home to New Jersey.
Although Herbstsommer and Belfer didn't suffer much, the bark scorpion is highly poisonous and can kill babies, toddlers, or vulnerable elderly folks who aren't treated with antivenom.
We got stung once in the back. There was an initial pinch of pain, like a bad bee sting. Then the venom set in. You know the feeling when your arm or leg goes to sleep? The scorpion venom made our whole body tingle. Weird, but not that uncomfortable.
When children are stung, the symptoms may resemble a neurological disorder. An affected kid may suddenly have trouble speaking, sending parents into a panic. But as mentioned, only the smallest kids are in real danger.
Smith says it's possible that travelers somehow brought the scorpions with them to the airport and, in the case of Herbstsommer, on board a plane.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.