The 16 State Bills Arizona Conservatives Will Totally Hate In 2016
Given all the right-wing bills introduced each year at the Arizona Legislature, it’s hard to imagine there are any left-leaning elected officials in the state Capitol at all.
But guess what? They do exist, and they introduce legislation, too.
Here are 16 bills that probably won’t make it to Governor Doug Ducey’s desk but will thoroughly piss off conservatives:
16) HB 2275: Requires a special label for foods that are genetically engineered.
15) HB 2276: Outlaws the use of the death penalty.
Mike Linksvayer/Creative Commons
14) HB 2281: Prohibits the use of three insecticides considered toxic to bees.
13) HB 2274: Allows minors to have abortions without parental consent if a physician deems them mentally and physically capable of making the decision.
12) HB 2407: Prohibits hydraulic fracturing ("fracking") in Arizona
11) HB 2393: Limits what an employer can ask about a person's criminal history during the hiring process.
10) HB 2408: Repeals Arizona's now-infamous ban on banning plastic bags law.
9) HB 2415: Extends the state's "fair housing" rules by prohibiting discrimination based on gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or disability.
8) HB 2344: Repeals ARS 15-112, which says: "A school district or charter school in this state shall not include in its program of instruction any courses or classes that include any of the following:
1. Promote the overthrow of the United States government.
2. Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
3. Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
4. Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Phoenix, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.