10 Drinks for Dad this Father's Day
We all know what to get Mom for Mother's Day. Flowers, Chocolate, probably a card to let her know how special she is.
But what do you get Dad for Father's Day? A tie? New power tools? Maybe some, err, socks? (Actually, we have some really classy ideas over on our sister blog, Jackalope Ranch.)
Forget all that and get Dad something he really wants: a nice stiff drink.
No matter what kind of father the universe has imposed on you, we think you can find something on our list that suits him.
1. Odell's Bourbon Barrel Stout - You probably aren't going to find a more manly beer then one
that is aged in Kentucky Bourbon barrels for four months. Weighing in at 10.5% alcohol and served cold from a 750ml bottle, it's no wonder this creamy malty beer is part of the single serve collection from Odell.
2. Rusty Nail - Nothing says "I love you" like a Rusty Nail: combination of Scotch and Drambuie with a twist of lemon served over ice. Drambuie is a scotch-based herbal liqueur with a hint of honey which means you are basically mixing scotch with scotch.
4. Manhattan - There are plenty of variations on this classic dad drink, but we prefer ours rogue style. Three shots of Jack Daniels over ice with a splash of sweet vermouth topped with a cherry. A sure fire way to put dad in a great mood for father's day.
3. Oskar Blue Old Chub - If Dad like his beer out of a can, grab him a sixer of Old Chub Scotch Ale. Dangerously smooth for an 8% beer with hints of caramel and a nice balance of hops.
5. Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Red Ale - This beer is for the dad who is a true beer connoisseur. A ruby red beer with an interesting scent of vinegar and fruit, and a taste that's tart when it hits the tongue and ends on a sweet note.
6. MaCallan 25 year - Any dad young or old should at one time experience a good scotch. Our pick for this Father's Day is MaCallan's 25 year. Aged for a minimum of 25 years in sherry seasoned Spanish oak casks with hints of orange and fruit flavors. Serve neat, this is for sipping.
7. Arrogant Bastard Ale - A 22oz punch in the face from Stone Brewing. This beer is not for the faint of heart. A strong beer with a lot of hops and a bitterness that makes one bottle good enough for the year. A perfect passive-aggressive way to tell dad how you really feel.
8. Diamond Collection Malbec - No dad can turn down a good glass of red wine especially if it's a wine from the director of The Godfather. A hypnotizing dark red in color with rich fruit flavors and a slight spice. This wine from Francis Ford Coppola's winery is sure to impress.
9. Caucasian - Also known as a White Russian. It's the drink choice of "The Dude" so of course it's manly! Plus it taste like chocolate milk and we know that every dad had a soft spot for chocolate milk. Pour equal parts of kahlua and vodka over ice and finish with a splash of cream. Perfect for Father's Day Brunch.
10. The Usual Suspects - Coors Banquet, Budweiser, Miller High Life - some dads just like what they like and nothing would make them happier then a good ol' 12 pack of the old standby. It's his day so get him what you know he'll love.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.