10 Reasons to Hit Happy Hour in the Valley
Hit print on this one, people. Or at least cut and paste. Here's your guide to good happy hour deals across the Valley, with food and drink from around the world, at all levels of sophistication. Happy Monday.
1.Rosie McCaffrey's 906 E. Camelback Rd., Phoenix 602-241-1916 Good Irish pubs are famous for their free-flowing spirits. Even better Irish pubs are famous for selling them on the cheap. Rosie McCaffrey's, thankfully, is the latter. Seven days a week, from 4 to 7 p.m., the bar slashes $1 off the price of each glass of wine, well drink, and draft; domestic beer is $2.50. Appetizer specials rotate daily, but sliders, at least, are always $4.99.
2.Richardson's Cuisine of New Mexico 1582 E. Bethany Home Rd., Phoenix 602-265-5886
Happy hour starts early on the northwest corner of 16th St. and Bethany Home. At Richardson's Cuisine of New Mexico, known for margaritas and spicy just-north-of-the-border fare, you can start drinking weekdays at 3 p.m...and keep going until 6. Well drinks are $4.50, it's just $2.50 for domestic beer and a selected wine (one red, one white) goes for $5. Any food specials? Occasionally they say.
3.San Tan Flat Saloon & Grill 6185 W. Hunt Hwy., Queen Creek 480-882-2995 This Queen Creek spot is famous for three things that go great with happy hour: lawsuits, dancing and the Wild West. San Tan is the proud winner of a court battle with Pinal County that allows them to let patrons dance to the live country western music they host, and the fun doesn't stop there. For four solid hours (2 to 6 p.m.) everyday, anything at all behind the bar costs at least a dollar less.
4.Hail Mary's 1402 S. Priest Drive, Tempe 480-377-8971 Like fried, greasy food, beer and a game involving a ball of some sort? Hail Mary's is your haven. It's even better every weekday from 4-7 p.m., when they offer $2 Bud Lights and Buweisers, $3 pints of Budlight, $3.25 for premium pints, not to mention $3 well vodka and $3 house wines. Plus an extra drink special that changes daily. And don't leave out the grub: Hail Mary's offers 9 or 10 appetizers every happy hour for just 99 cents.
5. Dos Gringos Trailer Park 1001 E. 8th St., Tempe
480-968-7879 Yes, this is a bar you might be embarrassed to enter if you're too old to pass as a college kid anymore, but the frat-like atmosphere of Dos Gringos just might be worth it for a taste of their happy hour. Chips and salsa, along with Coronas are always $2, and from 4 to 7 p.m. every day the drink specials read like a frat party menu: $3 Gringoritas (the house margarita), $1 "Happy Shots" (created on the spot every time one's ordered) and $3 "Donkey Punch" (a pre-made jungle juice of sorts.) If only there were beer pong and streaking.
6. Casey Moore's Oyster House 850 S. Ash Ave, Tempe 480-968-9935 Casey Moore's, an Irish-style bar in an old, reclaimed house in a cozy Tempe neighborhood, can make you feel like you're drinking in your backyard...with someone waiting on you. Even better, during happy hour. Monday through Friday from 3 to 7 p.m., the bar takes $1 off of all well drinks, drafts, and glasses of wine. They also cut $2 off the price of their appetizers. On Saturdays and Sundays, Casey Moore's is all about day-drinking - the specials start earlier, running from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
7.Stray Cat Bar & Grill 2433 E. University Dr., Tempe 480-967-1040
Here, you'll have nearly all of the classic bar novelties at your disposal -pool, darts, shuffleboard. And with drinks flowing at lowered prices, you just might win a game or two! From 3 to 7 p.m. every day, Stray Cat offers $3 import and craft pints, $3 well drinks, and $2.50 bottled beers.
8.Stone Rose Lounge 7575 E. Princess Dr. (inside the Scottsdale Fairmont Princess), Scottsdale 480-585-4848 Any swanky-looking place unpretentious enough to feature some nightly happy hour steals is a cool joint in our book. And Stone Rose Lounge, located in the lavish Fairmont Scottsdale Hotel, just announced some deals. They give you half-off all call liquors and house wines every weekday from 5 p.m. until 7:30, plus a happy hour food menu that will feature more than your average chicken fingers.
9.Bombay Spice 10810 North Tatum Blvd., Phoenix
602-795-0020 Bombay Spice offers an interesting alternative to the fried stuff you typically find at Happy Hour. That is, because they are a decidedly healthy restaurant. From 2:30 to 6 p.m. daily, they offer Indian appetizers like a chickpea civiche or a vegetable biryani for only $4. And during the same times, select glasses of wine are $4 too.
10. Z'Tejas Grill 7014 E. Camelback Rd., Scottsdale (and other Valley locations) 480-946-4171 Known for tasty grilled Southwestern fare, the Z'Tejas chain might ring a bell when it comes to margaritas, too. During happy hour (which is from 3:30 p.m. to close on Mondays, and 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 every other weekday) you can get one of these babies, minus $1. And the same goes for house wines and well drinks. The price of draft beers is also reduced by 50 cents and all appetizers are half priced - shrimp tostada bites, anyone?
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Hidden Track Bottle Shop: Boutique Wine Store to Open This Summer in Downtown
- The Taco and Dilla Parlor: Luncha Libre Food Truck Goes Brick-and-Mortar
- Westward Brewing Co. in Central Phoenix Will Open Later This Summer — Here's a Peek Inside
- 100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe