100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper at Nee House
The North Phoenix restaurant serves seriously Chinese food.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper at Nee House Chinese Cuisine
When you walk into Nee House Chinese Cuisine in North Phoenix, your eyes are likely to go to directly to the tanks that run along the back wall of the restaurant. Inside them you'll see a nice array of live sea creatures, which should be your first clue that of all the excellent Chinese dishes you can order here, the absolute best will be those that feature crab, shrimp, scallops, and other sea fare.
The restaurant serves everything from whole lobsters served in house special sauce and clams in black bean sauce, but there's one simple dish I just can't do without. No matter what other plates I order for my meal, I always get a plate of deep fried squid with salt and pepper. Nee House's version of this dish features tender pieces of squid covered in a crisp batter. Salty and spicy, chewy and crisp, this dish is like a perfect mix of flavors and textures.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.