100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Fig, Cheese, and Caramel Empanada at Republic Empanada
Republica Empanada's sweet offerings are just as good as the savory.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
52. Fig, Cheese, and Caramel Empanada at Republica Empanada
Downtown Mesa is lucky to have Republic Empanda call it home because this adorable little eatery is well worth the drive from where ever you might live. Here you'll find a nice list of empanadas stuffed with everything from slow roasted pork or arroz con gandules, to ham and cheese or ground beef and cheddar. The blend of classic and modern flavors makes this a restaurant will wide-appeal — the friendly service is a cherry on top.
Some of my go-to savory empanadas include the pernil, filled with tender roasted pork, and the boricua, filled with rice, pigeon peas, and ham. But as much as I love the meat and cheese-filled options, I highly recommend saving room for dessert.
Sweet empanadas at Republica Empanada are just as good as the savory options, and in the case of my personal favorite dessert empanada, combine both sweet and savory flavors. The fig, cheese, and caramel empanada comes blanketed in powdered sugar and stuffed with local dates and mozzarella cheese. It's a less-than-likely combination but the flavors come together perfectly. Dulce de leche sauce adds another layer of sweetness and happens to be so good that you won't want to let a drop go to waste.
For a savory start try the pernil empanada.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
68. Green Chile Burrito at Rito's Mexican Food
67. Aloo Tikki Chaat at Little India
66. Oysters Rockefeller at The Salt Cellar Restaurant
65. Bún Thit Nuong at Hue Gourmet
64. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate at The Gladly
63. Fried Green Tomato Sandwich at Welcome Diner
62. Crawfish at Angry Crab Shack
61. The Lady at Short Leash Hot Dogs
60. Torta Ahogada at Tortas Paquime
59. Baiynchaiv Crepes at Reathrey Sekong
58. The Straw at Miracle Mile Deli
57. Fresh Shattered Potato Chips at Ingo's Tasty Food
56. Southern Fried Chicken at Bobby-Q
55. Buffala Verace at Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana
54. Baklava at Middle Eastern Bakery and Deli
53. Tri-Tip Sandwich at Grassroots Kitchen at Tap
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.