100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
Come for the cocktails, stay for popcorn.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
Downtown Phoenix's Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour is a temple of modern mixology. Every drink on owner Ross Simon's cocktail menu shows how attention to detail and a healthy dose of scientific knowledge can elevate even the most classic of drinks to an entirely new level. But don't let the impeccably well-crafted cocktails entirely overshadow the food menu crafted by co-owner and executive chef Bob Tam. You might not realize it, but this place serves some serious eats.
Whether you're stopping in for happy hour, dinner, or a late-night snack, the menu at Bitter & Twisted includes something that's sure to surprise. Tam takes dishes such as mac n' cheese and a classic burger and adds his own twist. Oftentimes that means a measure Asian influence — as is the case with the Ramen "Momo" Burger and Seoul Fried Chicken — and sometimes it just means a measure of whimsical fun, such as with the "Campfire" Roasted Marshmallow dessert.
In any case, you should order Tam's Hurrricane Popcorn. It's the best version I've had anywhere outside of Hawaii (where the Asian-inspired creation is a popular snack), and starts with a giant bowl of hot, buttery popcorn. On top of that Tam throws in garlic, seasame, and shichimi togarashi (a Japanese spice), as well as spicy rice crackers and piece of seaweed. It's salty, fatty, and full of umami — the perfect pairing for whatever liquid concoction you might choose.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.