2013 James Beard Award Semifinalists Announced: Four Arizona Candidates Make the Cut
The James Beard Foundation Awards, also known as the Oscars of the culinary world, announced today its annual restaurant and chef semifinalists for 2013. As in years past, the list is gigantic, but come mid-March it will feature just a short selection of nominees.
Although Phoenix never fares as well as cities like New York, Chicago, and San Francisco, there are even fewer candidates this year headed for James Beard Award glory: Four this year compared to seven (statewide) in 2012.
Here's who made the cut.
- Sam Fox of Scottsdale-based Fox Restaurant Concepts (Olive & Ivy, True Food Kitchen, Zinburger) is once again a candidate in the category of Outstanding Restaurateur.
- Vincent on Camelback, chef Vincent Guerithault's French restaurant in Central Phoenix, has been nominated for Outstanding Restaurant. Vincent on Camelback was also a semifinalist in 2012.
- Shinji Kurita of ShinBay in Scottsdale and Kevin Binkley of Binkley's Restaurant and Café Bink have both been nominated for Best Chef: Southwest. Last year, ShinBay was a semifinalist for Best New Restaurant. Chef Binkley, nominated last year for Best Chef: Southwest, was the only 2012 Arizona candidate to move on the James Beard Award finals.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Hidden Track Bottle Shop: Boutique Wine Store to Open This Summer in Downtown
- The Taco and Dilla Parlor: Luncha Libre Food Truck Goes Brick-and-Mortar
- Westward Brewing Co. in Central Phoenix Will Open Later This Summer — Here's a Peek Inside
- 100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe