9 Metro Phoenix Restaurants Scored a "D" from the County Health Department in August
This north Phoenix Chinese eatery had a few too many violations during their health inspection last month.
Although fewer restaurants had a significant number of violations during inspections last month (13 in June, 10 in July), there are still a few that scored a "D" from Maricopa County health inspectors in August and need to make some changes before re-inspection. Here are the nine restaurants in the Valley that need to make those adjustments or did make adjustments at the time of inspection during the month of August after receiving a "D" score.
- Bamboo China, Phoenix "A Roasted duck was found in the chest freezer. Owner stated it was bought from a restaurant in Phoenix. Discussed with owner that it is a requirement to obtain food from an approved sources."
- Rice Garden, Mesa "Observed soda nozzles with an accumulation of filth on them at the time of the inspection."
- Golden Rice Express, Glendale "All potentially hazardous food items in walk-in cooler and cold holding units did not have datemarking: cooked breaded chicken, shrimp, egg rolls, cooked noodles, cut cabbage, meat dumplings, cooked meats."
- Los Rubios, Gilbert "Cook seen cracking raw shell eggs, using both gloved-hands (for breakfast burrito), then grabbing tortilla. Had cook discard tortilla, and go wash hands (putting on new gloves as well)."
- Via DeLosantos Restaurant, Phoenix "Cut cabbage and carrots were dumped in handwashing sink. Person in charge cleaned out sink. Handwashing sink must only be used for handwashing."
- Planet Sub, Chandler "Observed in reach in, lunch meat ham and chicken with a date mark of 8/2. Items shall be held for 7 or less days when in cold holding. Instructed employee to discard items."
- Iron Chef, Queen Creek "Observed employee wash his hands by placing them under running water PIC instructed employee how to properly was hands at time of inspection employee then used soap and lathered for the correct amount of time prior to rinsing."
- 27th Avenue Bar & Grill, Phoenix "An accumulation of organic matter was observed encrusted to all the knives stored in the crevice between the wall and the prep table. Employee indicated that knives were used at the start of lunch, which began at approximately 11:00 AM. "
- Seay's, Phoenix "FIFTH CONSECUTIVE OCCURRENCE... Ceiling above dish area was previously heavily damaged by rain. Currently two large holes are in ceiling and cardboard is usually being used to cover holes."
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.