Andrea Volpi's Pappardella Bolognese
Courtesy of Local Bistro
Chef Andrea Volpi of Local Bistro learned to cook at an early age, watching his mother in the kitchen and helping her with fresh, simple recipes like this delicious Italian Bolognese sauce. Mangia!
What you'll need:
1/ 4 lb. ground pork, coarse
1/2 lb. ground veal, coarse
1/2 lb. ground beef, coarse
2 large jumbo carrots, peeled and diced
2 large yellow onions, finely diced
2 celery sticks, diced
(More ingredients and how to put it all together after the jump...)
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 cups olive oil
2 cups white wine
5 cups chicken stock
1 cup of tomato paste
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
What to do:
1. In a heavy brazier, add oil. When warm, add all of the meat and stir while searing. Fat will separate itself from the meat.
2. With a ladle, skim the fat and discard. Add all of the vegetables to the meat and stir. Add a bay leaf.
3. Deglaze the pan with white wine and when wine is completely evaporated, add stock and tomato paste.
4. Lower the heat, simmer and stir for 2 hours. If needed, skim any additional fat off the top before serving.
5. Add to your favorite cut of pasta.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.