August Restaurant Openings and Closings in Metro Phoenix
Have you made it to Scottsdale's The Standard yet?
Another month, another crop of new restaurants. While some places simply rebranded, others are completely new concepts with entirely new takes on cuisine. Benihana-style Mexican restaurant, anyone? Well, whether you're into that or not, there are plenty of other new spots to check out. Unfortunately, there are also some spots that closed, too, so read on to find out if you've lost any restaurant loves in August.
- The Standard, Scottsdale "There are separate menus for breakfast and lunch/dinner, as well as for the market side of the operation. The breakfast menu includes coffee and espresso drinks, fresh juices, and smoothies. The small selection of food choices includes a ham, egg, and cheese melt on ciabatta bread ($5) and a breakfast burrito ($6)."
- Pizza a Metro, Gilbert "Pizza a Metro opened in a west Phoenix strip mall in 2007. The 20-seat restaurant serves pizzas, pastas, and other Italian favorites such as wood-fired calamari and tiramisu. Its popularity stems in part from the reasonably priced fare and cozy atmosphere. The Gilbert restaurant will serve a similar menu to that of the original restaurant."
- Fluff It Marshmallows, Gilbert "Though the store offers ready-to-eat s'mores marshmallows dipped in chocolate and topped with a graham cracker crumble, Fluff It also has a s'mores bar. There you can pick your 'mallow flavor and add toppings like berries, brownies, cookies, caramel sauce, and more to create your own s'mores masterpiece."
- Wild Game Sports Grill, Phoenix "Wild Game is scheduled to open in the next couple of weeks near 24th Street and Thomas Road. The new spot promises a "chef-driven menu" with smoked wings, salads, gourmet burgers, and more. What exactly "more" entails is what makes this spot more than your average sports bar -- trust us."
- This new Mexican eatery is more Benihana than it is Macayo's.Lauren Saria
Fogon Mexican Eatery, Scottsdale "When you first hear the idea 'Benihana-style Mexican food,' you probably have one of two reactions. Either you think it's a horrible, gimmicky concept or you think, 'Well, it might be cool.'"
- The Beverly, Scottsdale "The new food menu will be overseen by executive chef Jorge Gomez, while bar manager and mixologist Rich Heider will handle the drinks. The cocktail list will offer both classic and modern cocktails including the Quiet American made with Aviation gin, watermelon, mint, and soda."
- TEN Handcrafted American Fare & Spirits, Phoenix "The selection of cocktails varies from classics such as a Manhattans and margaritas to more interesting options like the pecan pie martinis made with Tito's vodka, pecan liqueur, and vanilla simple syrup."
- The Pie Hole, Phoenix "[Owner Tonya] Siadi says the espresso machine will be ready to go so she'll be serving both coffee and her well-loved pies. Also also says she's trying to crowd-fund money to purchase a better oven for the space."
- Fired Pie, Phoenix "The sixth location of fast-casual pizza chain Fired Pie [opened]... at the Collier Center in downtown Phoenix."
This unique taco joint in Scottsdale shuttered last month.
- Taco Haus, Scottsdale "The news of Taco Haus' closure may not come as quite a surprise to those who've been following the restaurant since its debut. During the last six months, the restaurant and its chef have been the center of two negative social media incidents and has been met with lukewarm reviews by food critics."
- Mabel's on Main, Scottsdale "For years, Mabel's on Main was a go-to spot in Scottsdale for a well-crafted cocktail you could enjoy in a dramatic, high-style atmosphere. The dark wooden bar, leather banquettes, and hidden private room (or didn't you know about that already?) made it a one-of-a-kind spot in Old Town."
- Lola Coffee at the Yard, Phoenix "But after about six months, the restaurant/coffee shop/wine bar is preparing for big changes. As of Sunday, August 24 Lola Coffee at The Yard will close. It will relaunch later this fall as "a newer, fresher concept," according to the Lola at The Yard website."
- Fusion Burritos, Gilbert "The restaurant served a menu of burritos stuffed with off-the-wall toppings including meatballs, mashed potatoes, and chicken salad. As an example, consider The Seoul burrito, which was packed with roasted pork, steamed rice, shredded cabbage, carrot, radish, cilantro, and mint."
546 N. Gilbert Rd.
Gilbert, AZ 85234
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.