Yesterday we talked to Chef Becky Windels of The Herb Box in Scottsdale. Today, she shows us how to prepare one of the restaurants signature appetizers, Smoked Trout Beignets.
A beignet is a fried pastry ball, often served as a dessert with powdered sugar or jam. Here, Windels puts a savory twist on this French Quarter tradition with the use of fish filets and herbs.
Smoked Trout Beignets with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli and French Cornichons
(Yields 20-25 Beignets)
4 filets smoked trout
1/2 red pepper, 1/8 inch diced
1/2 yellow pepper, 1/8 inch diced
1/2 red onion, 1/8 inch diced
1/2 cup cornichons
1/2 T pepper
1/2 c lite mayo
1/4 c fresh dill
1/4 c fresh parsley
1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c panko breadcrumbs
3/4 c white wine
2 egg yolks
1 T rice oil
2 egg whites
1 T sugar
Roasted red pepper aioli:
2 2/3 c lite mayo
1 roasted red pepper
1/2 T sea salt
1/2 T pepper
1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
What to do:
1. Blend red pepper aioli ingredients in a small bowl and set aside in the refrigerator for later.
2. Finely dice trout, peppers and onions and combine them in a small bowl.
3. Add cornichons, pepper, mayo, breadcrumbs and herbs and mix well. Set aside.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
4. In another bowl, combine flour, panko, wine, egg yolks and rice oil. Whip egg whites with sugar until you see soft peaks. This is your beignet batter.
5. Fold beignet batter into trout mixture.
6. Drop 2oz scoops of batter into a deep fryer and fry until golden.
7. Serve with roasted red pepper aioli and thin sliced cornichons.