Big Brain Update: Brian and Margita Webb
Brian and Margita Webb
In preparation for this year's Big Brain awards, we're checking up with a few of last year's winners. Our Big Brains today: Brian and Margita Webb
Hey Joe! has certainly been keeping busy since winning Phoenix New Times' Big Brain Award last year. With their "no roach, roach coach" turning out Filipino street food, Brian and Margita have become regular faces at the Downtown Phoenix Public Market on Wednesday nights and Saturday mornings. You can also spot them at the growing number of Valley food truck events.
Last month in celebration of their first year in business, Hey Joe! thanked customers with the Great Lumpia Giveway where they distributed free orders of their pork lumpia. And in case you missed it, we also named them in our list of Ten Favorite Phoenix Food Trucks.
Today, we're catching up with Brian and Margita, who won the Big Brain Award for culinary arts last year.
1. What have you been doing for the last year? We've been introducing more people to the beautiful food of the Philippines.
2. Who do you suggest for this year's award? I would recommend Hue and Lisa Tran of Rice Paper. I love how they brought a new and original concept to Phoenix.
3. Where do you see the food truck community a year from now? I see it prospering as more people realize the quality of food that the members of the Phoenix Street Food Coalition have to offer.
4. What changes would you like to see in the local food community? We'd like to see more ethnic food, especially from cuisines that aren't already in the spotlight.
Nominations for this year's Big Brain Awards are closed. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for profiles of this year's finalists and information about Artopia, coming April 7 at The Saguaro in Scottsdale.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Hidden Track Bottle Shop: Boutique Wine Store to Open This Summer in Downtown
- The Taco and Dilla Parlor: Luncha Libre Food Truck Goes Brick-and-Mortar
- Westward Brewing Co. in Central Phoenix Will Open Later This Summer — Here's a Peek Inside
- 100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe