Friday, August 8, 2014 at 11 a.m.
You might want to opt for dessert first at Pig & Pickle.
Last year we marked the hundred day countdown to Best of Phoenix by sharing some of our favorite food folks' "Personal Best" lists. This year we're bringing back our list of 100 Favorite Dishes. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
33. Blackberry Vinegar Pie from Pig & Pickle
See also: Pie Social 2014: Save the (New) Date for Chow Bella and Roosevelt Row's Fifth Annual Event
Vinegar pies had their heyday back in the pioneer times pretty much due to a lack of resources. Think of it as the offal of pie-- it's a way to enjoy your favorite recipes with whatever scraps you have on hand. Also like a good hunk of roasted bone marrow or braised oxtails, it's surprisingly good, despite the less than appealing name.
Over at Pig & Pickle, they're serving up this Midwestern delight with a hint of blackberry. Hint is the keyword here because the tart, flavorful fruit still doesn't overpower the delicately sweet custard-like filling of the pie.
Yes, the crust is made with vinegar, but that bitter bite balances the smooth custard perfectly. With a generous dollop of homemade whipped cream on top, the whole shebang is rich, but you don't have to be to enjoy a slice.
Miss a dish?
100. Pork Belly Pastrami from Citizen Public House
99. French Onion Soup from Bonjour Vietnam
98. Whiskey Cream Gelato from Marrazo That's Amore
97. Breakfast Croissant from Cartel Coffee Lab
96. Salmon "Yasu Style" at Yasu Sushi Bistro
95. Cannoli from DeFalco's Italian Deli
94. Falafel Sandwich from Al-Hana Restaurant
93. PBLT at Bootleggers
92. Samosa from Little India
91. Combo Plate from El Pollo Supremo
90. Brunch Burger from Orange Table
89. Duck Fat Fries from Bourbon Steak
88. Kurobuta Pork Chop from Noca
87. Carne Adovada Enchiladas from Los Dos Molinos
86. Maple Bacon Doughnut from Rainbow Donuts
85. Pad Khing from Nunthaporn's Thai Cuisine
84. Mariscos con Arroz from Tumi Fine Peruvian Cuisine
83. Chicago Dog from Portillo's Hot Dogs
82. Lemon Bars from Phoenix Public Market Cafe
81. Preserved Pickle and Pork Noodle Soup from Asian Cafe Express
80. Maine Lobster Roll from The Maine Lobster Lady
79. Lengua Tacos from Asadero Norte de Sonora
78. Black Licorice from Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
77. Cracker Jack from House of Tricks
76. Chicken Achari Curry from Curry Corner
75. Lavender Berry Lemonade Popsicle from AZ Pops
74. Truffle Bikini from The Tavern
73. Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad Sandwich from Essence Bakery Cafe
72. Oaxaca Special Burro from Carolina's
71. Texas Po' Boy from Texas BBQ House
70. Thai Noodle Soup from RedThai
69. Breakfast Sandwich from Lux Central
68. Deep Fried Duck with Taro from Hong Kong Asian Diner
67. Chicken Pot Pie from The Duce
66. Alfajores from El Chullo
65. Chashu Ramen from Sushi Ken
64. Yukon Gold from The Parlor Pizzeria
63. Crispy Pig Ears from Bar Crudo
62. French Fries from Cafe Bink, Bink's Midtown, and Bink's Scottsdale
61. Croissant Bread Pudding from Ollie Vaughn's
60. Kale Caesar Salad from Original ChopShop Co.
59. Chilaquiles from La Tolteca
58. Farmstead Goat Milk Caramel from The Simple Farm
57. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate from The Gladly
56. Paitan Ramen from Umami
55. Nopales and Longaniza Taco from El Tlacoyo
54. Chicken Feet from Great Wall Cuisine
53. The Oggie from Cornish Pasty Co.
52. The Lady from Short Leash Dogs
51. Pork Belly Pibil from The Mission
50. Mixed Grill from Copper Kettle
49. Oxtail Noodle Soup from China Magic Noodle House
48. Two Meat Plate from Little Miss BBQ
47. PB&B Burger from Welcome Diner
46. West Lake Soup from New Hong Kong Restaurant
45. Short Rib Hot Pot from Lucky's King Wah
44. Ful Medames from A.T. Oasis Coffee & Tea
43. Spinach Spaetzle from Beckett's Table
42. Onion Rings at Joe's Farm Grill
41. No. 2 Crepe from Jobot Coffee
40. Buttterfish Tataki from Roka Akor
39. Grilled Octopus from Virtu Honest Craft
38. Boricua from Republica Empanada
37. Lil' Amadi from Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles
36. Basil Lime Sorbet from Sweet Republic
35. Veggie Pho with Rare Beef from Khai Hoan
34. Regina Margherita D.O.C. from La Piazza Locale
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest.