Bryan Hulihee's Fondue Pot and Chile Pecan Bread
In this week's Chef Chat, we heard from Chef Bryan Hulihee of Roaring Fork. Today he shares his recipe for a Roaring Fork classic: Fondue Pot and Chile Pecan Bread (lamb chops optional).
Fondue Cheese: Ingredients:
2.5 cups of diced yellow onion
1.5 tsp garlic, minced
4 cups of heated milk
2.5 lb pepperjack cheese
1 cup white wine
1.5 tsp oz cumin, ground
2 tsp salt (to taste)
1.5 tsp white pepper
1. Heat dutch oven or sauce pan over medium heat, add just enough butter or oil to coat the bottom of the pan, and heat over low heat until warm. Add vegetables, cover with foil or parchment paper, then lid, and cook over low heat until vegetbles are giving off their own juices and soften. Do not allow to brown.
2. Deglaze the pan by removing the cover, adding the wine, and turning the heat up to allow the liquid to evaporate, stir the mixture to ensure any browned bits are loosened from the bottom of the pan.
3 . Add hot milk
4. Once hot, add remaining ingredients and puree in blender
Chile Pecan Bread
6 cups bread flour
2 tbsp white wine
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1.5 cups water
2 tsp yeast
4 dried guajillo chiles, soaked, seeds removed and chopped
1 small diced onion
.5 cup pecans
1. Sauté chilis and onions til onions are soft
2. blend flour, salt
3. add liquids, onion/chili mix and mix by hand or in a stand mixer for 10 mins.
4. add nuts
5. Let dough proof (note: proof is the rising time, some breads require two rising times, but generally, you allow the dough to sit, in a clean bowl, covered by a tea towel or plastic wrap until double in volume)
6. Divide dough in half. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 mins, then another 15 at 350 degrees or until done.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Hidden Track Bottle Shop: Boutique Wine Store to Open This Summer in Downtown
- The Taco and Dilla Parlor: Luncha Libre Food Truck Goes Brick-and-Mortar
- Westward Brewing Co. in Central Phoenix Will Open Later This Summer — Here's a Peek Inside
- 100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe