Chef Walter Sterling's Chilled Avocado and Lime Soup
Hannah E Williams
Chef Walter Sterling of Oakville Grocery Co. cooks up a chilled avocado and lime soup to cool off on those hot summer days.
No slaving away over the stove here. All you need are the fresh ingredients, a knife and a blender.
What you'll need:
1 Lime Split in Half
2 Cups Chicken Broth
½ Clove of Garlic
1 Teaspoon Chopped Red Onion
3 Tablespoons Queen Creek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
2 Campari Tomatoes
8 Slivers Red Onion
8 Leaves Cilantro
1 Serrano Chili Sliced
Click through for the rest of this easy no-cook recipe.
What you'll do:
- Split the avocados in half, remove seed, remove skin and place in a blender.
- Add the 2 cups chicken broth, red onion, juice of lime, the ½ garlic clove and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Adjust consistency with broth to desired thickness. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- For the garnish, slice the campari tomatoes into small wedges, mix with the onion, sliced serrano chili and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the leaves of cilantro around the tomato salad and serve for four.
(This is the third installment of our Chef Chat with Sterling. Check out parts one and two for more about Oakville Grocery Co. and what drives Sterling's culinary creativity. And check back tomorrow to talk wine with Oakville Wine Director David Johnson.)
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.