Family Finds a Disturbing Surprise in Their Canned Green Beans
We've all heard the horror stories of people finding all sorts of scary stuff in their food. Well, chalk another one up to the list because, just this week, a family in Indiana found something in their dinner that had them green in the face.
According to WBND ABC 57, the family was enjoying a meal of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans (natch) when their son found a mostly intact toad carcass in his beans.
"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something -- because they have bacon in them sometimes," Gloria Chubb told the news station. "I took it out of there, and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans. Other than that, he was fully intact."
The family filed a complaint with the St. Joseph County Health Department, who showed up to take photos of the toad and eventually concluded that the creature had been processed with the food at a canning plant in Wisconsin. A production specialist said that because green beans (as well as corn and peas) are grown in frog and toad habitats, this probably isn't the only amphibian to make its way into food.
And in case you're not already motivated to switch to fresh fruits and veggies exclusively, here's a list of the 10 Grossest Things People Found in Their Food. It will not only turn you off of canned goods but also, fast food, candy, and soda. You're welcome.
Oh, and don't worry, the green bean company gave Chubb a full refund for her troubles.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.