Get Ready to Pig Out at The Gladly's Seven-Chef Dinner, Featuring Tender Belly Pork (We've Got the Menu)
The Gladly's Bernie Kantak holds a cut of Tender Belly pork.
Courtesy of Awe Collective
It won't take much to convince Valley food lovers that the upcoming dinner at The Gladly will be a don't-miss event. Here are seven reasons why: Kantak, Osso, Hebert, Casale, Jones, Fletcher, and Campbell.
As in seven of the Valley's best and best-known chefs teaming up for one unforgettable family-style dinner. Throw in the fact that the meal will be centered on an array of Tender Belly pork products and you've got a recipe for one hell of a meal.
Each of the seven chefs will cook a dish featuring a different Tender Belly products. For those who are unfamiliar with the Denver-based company, Tender Belly is a producer of high-quality pork products often made from heritage breeds of pigs raised at small family farms around the country. It was started by brothers Shannon and Erik Duffy, who were raised in Iowa. The company has Arizona ties, however, because Erik attended Scottsdale Culinary Institute, which is how he met Bernie Kantak.
And whether you realize it or not, chances are you've tasted Tender Belly products already. Most likely its bacon.
"It started with bacon," Erik says. "Anything from a pig, we have. But bacon, that's my baby."
It's used, along with many of Tender Belly's other products, at some of Arizona's best restaurants, including FnB, Pizzeria Bianco, Roka Akor, and Lon's at the Hermosa Inn. Of course, you can also find it at The Glady and Citizen Public House.
The dinner promises a range of ingredients, including items made from Mangalitsa, a descendant of the wild boar, and interpretations of Iberico, a type of cured ham considered one of the finest in the world. Here's the menu:
- Kelly Fletcher: Braised pork belly lasagna with Asian carmel, mirin Yukon gold kimchee potatoes, and pickled carrots.
- Josh Hebert of Posh: Gyutan (Japanese BBQ style pork tongue)
- Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft: Pork neck ragu and housemade ricotta
- Cullen Campbell of Crudo: Sourdough pancakes with smoked pecans, jowl, and temple
- Stephen Jones of Blue Hound Kitchen and Cocktails: Charcuterie spread of blood sausage, lardo, pork neck terrine, pickled pigs feet, and pork cheek rillettes
- Gregory Casale: Braciola do Coticha with Borlotti beans, broccoli rabe, and oven dried tomatoes
- Bernie Kantak of The Gladly: Habanero bacon on squishy hot dog bun; applewood smoked pork shank; bacon fat popcorn; pork confit chilaquiles; whipped Mangalitsa lardo, fig jam, Noble bread
The Seven Chef Pig-Out sponsored by Tender Belly will take place at The Gladly on Sunday, June 1, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Plates will be served family-style and the cost is $25 a person. For reservations, call 602-759-8132.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.