Gross Out: Cooler Crisis at Honey Bear's BBQ
By Amy Silverman
Bad electricity karma, perhaps? The light in the women's room was burned out when county restaurant inspectors visited Honey Bear's BBQ on Van Buren Street on August 31, but that wasn't the worst electrical failure.
The place might not have passed muster to begin with: inspectors noted a "1 inch piece of dried meat stuck to interior" of some tongs. There was a "moderate amount of slime mold" on the soda nozzles. And the shelves in the walk-in cooler had "strands of dust and food debris".
But the dealbreaker, clearly, was the fact that the "cooler malfunctioned at time of inspection," as the inspector wrote. "Establishment voluntarily closed doors."
And threw out a whole lot of meat that had been in that cooler for more than three and a half hours. Glad there was an inspection that day.
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Hidden Track Bottle Shop: Boutique Wine Store to Open This Summer in Downtown
- The Taco and Dilla Parlor: Luncha Libre Food Truck Goes Brick-and-Mortar
- Westward Brewing Co. in Central Phoenix Will Open Later This Summer — Here's a Peek Inside
- 100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe