Hunting for Hanukkah Treats in Phoenix
Hanukkah is a time for food, gifts and spending time with family. In New York or Chicago, it'd be a snap to find local restaurants serving Hanukkah dinner or offering latkes, brisket and kugel.
Here in Phoenix it's a little more difficult to find Hanukkah-related foodstuffs, unless you resort to the Kosher section of your local grocery. But with a little holiday resourcefulness, we found a few places to help get your Hanukah celebration started.
- Scott's Generations at 5555 N. 7th St. in Phoenix: Scott's has potato latkes by the dozen, plus Borscht, Kreplach and Matzoh Ball soups for takeout.
- Chompie's: Visit any Valley Chompie's location for Hanukkah sweets and latkes to-go. Tip: Try the North Scottsdale location for the best selection and most knowledgeable staff.
Noodle kugel with apples and cinnamon.
- Chompie's: The popular Valley deli is also hosting a sit-down Hanukkah dinner between 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Friday, December 11 at their Paradise Valley, Tempe and Scottsdale locations. Dinner includes latkes, soup, fish or meat entree, dinner rolls and dessert. Cost is $20 for adults and $10 for kids.
- Sun Lakes Jewish Congregation is hosting a Hanukkah Brunch at 11 a.m. on Sunday, December 14 at Oakwood Country Club, 24218 S. Oakwood Blvd. in Sun Lakes. Cost is $22 for adults; $11 for children 6-12; 5 and under free. Call 480-883-9393, or 480-802-0007 for reservations.
- Chabad of Phoenix is hosting a menorah lighting and Shabbat Dinner at 5 p.m. on Friday, December 11. Cost for nonmembers is $25 adults; $18 children or $60 per family. Call 602-944-2753 for reservations (required).
- At 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, December 12, The New Shul in Scottsdale is hosting a Hanukkah coffee house. Cost is $5.
- Kehillah of Arizona is hosting a Chanukah Celebration from 4-6 p.m. on Sunday, December 13 at Villa Serena Clubhouse, 7155 E. McDonald Dr. in Scottsdale. The event includes traditional holiday foods, games and an olive pressing demo.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.