July Restaurant Openings and Closings in Metro Phoenix
Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row
Summer months can be hard on the restaurant biz, but this July, we welcomed a pair of county-themed bars and said both hello and goodbye to a pop-up restaurant worth popping into.
We'll have to bid adieu to a Tempe Mexican dining institution, but at least one Valley liquor store will rise from the ashes this fall thanks to local chef Mark Tarbell.
"Fans of country music, Jack Daniel's, and traditional Southern American eats in Peoria now can get a taste of all three at the newest Toby Keith's I Love This Bar & Grill." More what to expect from the 19th franchise location
- The Traveling Monk (food truck)
- Original ChopShop Co., Tempe
"Located at 222 East University Drive (between Forest and College Avenues and in the former home of Pita Pit) the new counter-service eatery will offer a small menu of all-natural breakfast, lunch, and dinner items that stay around ten-dollar mark." More on the new location
- 2 Fat Guys Grilled Cheese (food truck)
"2 Fat Guys will offer 12 kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches -- from classics made with ingredients like bacon, tomato, and avocado to more inventive selections, including a Brie, Granny Smith apple, and honey creation (To Brie or Not to Brie) and one called The Toasty Pig made with pepper jack and Havarti cheeses, thin slices of pork, pickles, onions, and barbecue sauce. " More on the duo behind the food truck
- Pig-N-Out, Sunnyslope
"Waldo's BBQ, the 20-year-old company started by pig farmer and Snowflake resident Clay Caldwell, has opened its third location at 9706 North Seventh Street (Mountain View Road and Seventh Street), in the former home of Vaqueroscarne Asada." More on the Pig-N-Out menu
- Dierks Bentley's Whiskey Row, Scottsdale
"The 5,200-square-foot bar, restaurant, and live music venue comes courtesy of Phoenix-born and Grammy-nominated country music star Dierks Bentley and Riot Hospitality Group, the folks behind El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria, The Lodge, and American Junkie in Scottsdale." More on Whiskey Row's whiskey offerings
Big Earl's BBQ eats
- Voltaire, Scottsdale (will re-open as The Brooklyn Cafe)
"Voltaire Restaurant, the 30-year-old fine-dining spot of classic French cuisine in North Scottsdale, is getting a makeover." Read the letter the letter from the owner
- Sportsman's Fine Wines & Spirits, Phoenix
But there's hope: "On the heels of the announcement that Sportsman's Fine Wines & Spirits in Phoenix is shuttering at the end of August comes news of a more positive sort -- its salvation via Valley chef-legend Mark Tarbell, whose restaurant, Tarbell's, is right next door."
- Big Earl's BBQ, Scottsdale
- Guerrero's Mexican Food, Tempe "As previously reported, Norma and Victor Guerrero, the husband-and-wife team behind Guerrero's Mexican Food, at 2148 East Apache Boulevard in Tempe, have decided to retire and shutter the business they started in July 1982."
- Citizen Espresso Bar, Phoenix "Summer in Phoenix isn't just rough on restaurants; coffee houses struggle, too. And as of last week, one of them has permanently shut its doors."
- Gelato Dolce Vita, Gilbert
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.