Kelly Fletcher's Fromage D'Affinois with Homemade Strawberry Preserves
photo by Claire Lawton
In this week's Chef Chat, we heard from Chef Kelly Fletcher of House of Tricks. Fletcher says another one of his most valuable tools is his iPhone, which stores hundreds of his recipes. We were lucky enough to grab one.
Introducing his Fromage D'Affinois with Homemade Strawberry Preserves.
Here's how it's done...
For the Fromage:
12 oz Fromage D'Affinois cut in to 3oz portions (can be substituted with brie)
1/2 cup flour
2 lg eggs, beaten
3/4 cup Panko
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1. In three separate bowls: place flour in one, egg wash in the second and Panko bread crumbs in the third.
2. Coat each piece of cheese in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
3. Set coated cheese aside.
4. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
5. Sear the cubes of cheese on each side until soft, but not melted.
6. Serve with strawberry preserves and crusty bread.
For the Strawberry Preserves:
1. 1 pint strawberries -- washed, stemmed and quartered
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1tbsp Tazzmatazz (a raspberry liqueur)
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp of water
1. In a saucepan over meduim head, add 3/4 of the strawberries, salt, sugar, vanilla and Razzmatazz.
2. Cook until strawberries break down (15-20 mins.)
3. Add mixture of cornstarch and water and remaining berries.
4. This should thicken in about one minute.
5. Remove from heat and cool.
6. Serve chilled.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.