Learn How To Harvest Nopal Tomorrow at The Phoenix Public Market
Around these parts, we love our cactus. But when it comes to harvesting, cooking, and eating prickly pear, we'll admit, we're not quite experts.
If you're in the same boat, then you'll be happy to know you can learn all that and more at a workshop tomorrow morning at the Phoenix Public Market Cafe. Starting at 9 a.m., Monika Woolsey of Hip Veggies will lead a demonstration and workshop teaching attendees everything they need to know about harvesting nopal.
The workshop will cover:
- health benefits of eating nopales
- which prickly pear you can harvest and eat from your yard
- when and how to harvest prickly pear
- where to buy nopales in Phoenix
- traditional ways to prepare and eat nopales
- cooking techniques and flavor profiles for creating your own recipes
- which chefs in Phoenix are cooking with nopales
- how to cook with nopales in your own kitchen
And, yes, there will be samples.
Pre-registration for the workshop is required and can be completed online. All attendees will receive a recipe booklet and restaurant list. A suggested donation of $10 can be made at the event.
For more information, check the Phoenix Public Market website.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.