As we move into the season of relentless, broiling sunlight, several of our local farmers' markets very sensibly take a break until people start wanting to hang around outdoors again. (It's also a challenge to keep human beings -- let alone produce, dairy, or meat -- fresh in a little booth when it's over 100° F. out.)
Many of the larger, better-established markets are sticking it out (though some growers also close their individual stalls during the hot season, when harvests slow), and we'll keep up with what's going on at those. But, for your activity-planning pleasure, check the list of upcoming closing dates after the jump, as well as a couple of early and Easter weekend-only closings.
Closed Easter Sunday, April 12 only: Ahwatukee Farmers' Market (summer hours commence Sunday, April 19, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
Either check these out while they're still around, or prepare to see them again in the fall:
Last day Saturday, April 11: Market at DC Ranch
Last day, Saturday, April 18: Ticoz
Last day, Sunday, April 19: Switch
Last day, Friday, April 24: Borgata
Saturday, April 25: Trilogy at Vistancia in Peoria moves to an indoor location for the summer and shifts to the fourth Saturday of each month (in the fall, it'll move back outside for the fourth Friday of each month)
Last day, Saturday, May 9: Westgate Farmers' Market in Glendale (second Saturday of each month)
Last day, Saturday, May 16:
Last day, Wednesday, May 20:
- San Tan Village in Gilbert (first and third Wednesday of each month)
- Power Ranch at Trilogy in Gilbert, which changes up its regular schedule these next several weeks: In May, they'll move indoors to the ballroom, switch to first and third Wednesdays, and hang in there through June (which means April 22 outside, and May 6 and 20 and June 3 and 17 in the ballroom).
Last day Saturday, May 23: Market stall at Maya's Farm
Last day, Friday, May 29: Carefree Farmers' Market
Already closed for the summer:
- Downtown Glendale Farmers' Market
- Craftsman Court's Go Green Street Market in Scottsdale
- Sun City Festival Farmers' and Artisan Market in Buckeye (first Saturday of each month)
- Outlets at Anthem
- Fountain Hills Nocturnal Farmer & Crafts Market
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
Last day, Saturday, May 30: Ocotillo Trails Farmers' Market, Queen Creek
Probably sometime in June: The exact date depends on the weather and upcoming harvests, but expect The Farm Stand at Agritopia in Gilbert to wrap up its Saturday public hours for the season. (Check that link for their super blog about exactly what's fresh every week. Currently, they feature the rare and elusive cardoon -- Wikipedia says Mario Batali says it tastes "sexy.")
And in your other produce-seeking this week, look for variety lettuces -- it's their time to shine. Get three or four kinds, call some friends, and have a tasting. A simple olive-oil-and-citrus-juice dressing will bring out the distinctive flavor of each.