Serve New Year's Day brunch in a mug -- that's right the whole thing. Clean up will be easy because all items in the dishwasher will be the same shape. This is all about economy of time.
Ideas for a New Year's Day brunch in a mug after the jump....
Kick off your brunch on New Year's Day with a hot mulled cider followed by soup all served in mugs. Let the pot simmer all morning with these simple recipes and put a stack of mugs out for guests to dish up.
Hot Mulled Cider
1. Pour a gallon of bottled cider into a large pot on the stove.
2. Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar
3. Add 1 tspn of whole cloves, 1 tspn of whole allspice, and 3 cinnamon sticks on a cut piece of cheesecloth and tie closed with bakers twine. Place into the pot
4. Heat the cider to a boil
5. Once it boils, lower to a simmer
6. Remove cheese cloth of spices from the pot and ladle into mugs
Simple Pureed Soup
2 pounds of vegetables, prepped and cut into even pieces
4 to 5 cups broth or water
1 tspn olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
4 to 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tblsp flour
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a large soup pot
2. In a skillet or wok heat the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic cook until onions are celar
3. Add the flour and stir for a couple more minutes, without letting it brown.
4. Add the vegetables to the pot of broth
5. Add salt and pepper
6. Return to a simmer
7. Let the soup cook until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
8. Allow the soup cool, transfer to a food processor to purée
9. Return soup to the pot, warm it back up and keep on a low warming burner
10. Serve in mugs
Dessert in a Mug
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. For dessert use a cake mix and mix with eggs, oil and water according to manufacturers directions.
2. Fill mugs ½ way full with caked batter
3. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
4. Remove from oven with oven mits
5. Poke down the center of the mug cake with the end of a wooden spoon
6. Pour chocolate sauce down into the hole
7. Serve cake in a mug