Looking for a taste of fall without having to work too hard? Pick up a can of pumpkin puree and everything thing else for this recipe is most likely in your cupboard already. This is a quick and tasty soup made from mostly canned goods, so if you don't have them on hand you can stock up on the items needed and throw it together anytime this fall. You can also adjust the heat to your liking; this soup works from mild to make-your-eyes-water hot - it's your call.
This recipe makes a lot so plan on sharing or serving at a dinner party. Grab the recipe after the jump.
2 15 oz cans of black beans
2 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic
2 Tbls ground cumin
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp to 2 Tbls cayenne pepper (depending on heat desired)
1 Tbls cocoa powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbls olive oil
2 C chicken broth
1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
½ C dry sherry
4 Tbls red wine vinegar
2 Tbls Honey
Dollop of sour cream(optional)
Handful of toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. In a food processor puree both cans of black beans, juice and all.
2. Puree canned tomatoes.
3. In a large, heavy kettle heat the olive oil, reduce heat and cook the onions until clear.
4. Add garlic, cumin, cayenne, sage, salt, pepper - cook over medium heat.
5. Stir in black bean puree and tomato puree.
6. Add broth and sherry - cook until bubbling.
7. Turn on lowest burner will go and simmer for 25 minutes.
8. Add in coco powder, honey and vinegar. Turn burner off and allow soup to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of toasted pumpkin seeds if you like.