What better use for an extra case of Girl Scout cookies than a Chow Bella Showdown? In years past we've challenged our contributors to make something delicious out of Thin Mints and Trefoils. This time: Savannah Smiles. Stay tuned for more recipes and a decision from our "judge," web editor Eric Tsetsi.
When challenged to use Savannah Smiles, the latest lemon variety of Girl Scout cookies, my first thought was to crush them up. But, wracking my brain to defy intuition, I eventually decided to create a tiramisu-style dessert, aptly named Savannah Smiles When Plied with Rum. After all, liquor makes everything tastier, and Girl Scout cookies are no exception.
It's too bad they no longer make Lemon Chalet Cremes, my favorite of the Girl Scout Cookies that I sold door-to-door as a kid, because I could have whipped the creamy insides into the tiramisu filling à la Oreomisu. Instead, I used the flavor profile of Hanny's La Dolce Vita as inspiration and based the measurements off of Emily's Famous Tiramisu, cutting way back on the sugar since the cookies are already super sweet.
Have leftover cookies to use up, or just want to make them taste even better? Find the recipe after the jump.
Lemon Rum "Tiramisu" (AKA "Savannah Smiles When Plied with Rum")
This is best with 2 boxes of Savannah Smiles. I only had 1 box, but these proportions work for 2.
Filling: 2 c. heavy whipping cream 1 c. powdered sugar 1/4 c. rum 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Syrup dip: 1 c. hot water 1/4 c. rum 1/4 c. sugar
Topping: 1/4 - 1/2 c. Roasted pistachio pieces Lemon zest
1) In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1/4 c. rum to make the filling. When the mixture is blended smooth, slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Then, with an electric mixer, whip on medium-high until soft peaks form. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and remaining rum to make the dip. Pour the hot water over the mixture and stir until dissolved.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3) Dip the Savannah Smiles Girl Scout cookies in the sugar-rum mixture. Hold in the liquid for 3-5 seconds until they are soft but not mushy. Stand the first drenched cookies in a circle around the edge of the pan. Then lay the rest of the cookies flat inside of the pan in circles as pictured.
4) Layer the pan with half of the remaining cream filling. Then add a second layer of rum-soaked cookies and cover with the remaining cream filling.
5) Sprinkle the top of the dish with pistachio pieces, then lightly zest lemon over the top.