Watch a Man Destroy the Entire "The Hobbit" Denny's Menu in 20 Minutes
The horror, the horror.
Screen Cap:Jamie McDonald
When we reviewed "The Hobbit" menu at Denny's, it should be noted that it took two reporters, including one who writes a column called "Guilty Pleasures," and we still didn't eat everything on the menu. Yet here is a man who single-handedly polished off everything on the special menu in one sitting and under 20 minutes.
In our defense, Jamie "The Bear" McDonald, is a competitive eater who spends his time "mauling" his way through vast stacks of food and beverages for the amusement of the public.
While his eating feat here is surely impressive --we particularly enjoyed his glances backwards as he neared the finish line, polishing off the milk shake with one eye on the clock -- let's put his feat of gluttony into some perspective. Here is a listing of everything he ate and their caloric value:
- Hobbit Hole Breakfast: 1160 calories
- Shire Sausage Skillet: 1220 calories.
- Frodo's Pot Roast Skillet: 880 calories.
- The Ring Burger: 1420 calories.
- Gandalf's Gobble Melt: 850 calories.
- Dwarves' Turkey & Dressing Dinner: 710 calories.
- Lonely Mountain Treasure: 570 calories.
- Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies: 470 calories
- Bilbo's Berry Smoothie: 230 calories.
- Lone-Lands Campfire Cookie Milk Shake: 1100 calories.
Grand Total: 8610 calories. Also: 17620 mg sodium. FDA recommended sodium intake? 2300 mg.
To put this in further perspective you have to realize that a single slice of cooked bacon clocks in at about 80 calories. So you would have to choke through around 107 slices of bacon to match this meal on calories alone.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.