Whole Foods on Camelback Opening Next Wednesday, Will Feature Restaurant, Juice Bar, and Roasted Coffee
As if we needed more reasons to spend time (and money) at Whole Foods, the Valley's newest location is giving us a few more.
Set to open at 9 a.m., next Wednesday, September 18, the Whole Foods Market Camelback store (20th Street and Camelback in the Biltmore area) will feature a casual bar and restaurant as well as a juice bar and in-house roasted coffee along with its aisles of locally-sourced products, organic fruits and vegetables, and sustainable seafood.
Here's the rundown.
The Whole Foods Market on Camelback is actually a relocation of the company's Raintree Drive store. At 35,000 square-feet, the new store is nearly 10,000 square-feet larger than the Scottsdale location, translating, in part, to more space in the Prepared Foods and Bakery departments.
A new bar and casual restaurant might be the Camelback Whole Food location's most interesting standout. Called Twenty Highland Tavern, it will feature indoor and patio seating, a rotating selection of more than 36 craft beers on tap (with at least 20 local options), six wine taps, cocktails, and dishes made with local produce and sustainable meats.
There's also a juice bar called The Sqeeze and a coffee and espresso bar that will roast its 100% Arabica beans in-house. Featured coffee drinks will include Café Cortados (espresso with caramelized sugar & steamed milk served in a 6.oz shot glass) and YAMA, a slow-brewed (five hours) iced coffee served on the rocks with rimmed with Turbinado sugar and garnished with lemon rind.
- Locally grown fruits and vegetables will include apples and pears from Briggs & Eggers, Willcox potted kitchen herbs, and Sunizona squash and tomatoes. Avocados will be displayed in two ways ─ ripe, ready to eat avocados and two-to-three day ripe avocados.
- Meats are from animals raised without antibiotics and added hormones. Also available are in-house smoked meats and a full selection of pre-seasoned ready-to-cook meats.
- Seafood includes sustainably-sourced fresh filets, whole fish, and oven-ready selections. Fresh seafood is delivered up to six days a week.
- A cheese and meat selection of raw, grass fed, and farmstead cheeses and in-house roasted meats will also include dips, pates, and a new avocado mousse and red pepper/eggplant babaghanoush.
- A variety of prepared foods includes pizza, sandwiches, and wok-fired fajitas, burritos, and bowls. New rotisserie offerings include hot sides and bowls. Hot and cold bar options consist of prepared salads, soups, salads, and entrees. Other features will include a full Asian menu with sushi and a salad bar.
- The bakery will feature a new line of biscotti as well as offer sweet treats and desserts from ROCQ Macarons and Honeymoon Sweets.
- For brew fans, there's 44 feet of chilled beer that includes craft bombers, local craft beers, domestic favorites, imports, and a 6-foot Belgium beer "Cellar collection" focusing on Trappist and Abby style beers.
Whole Foods Market was founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, and is the leading natural and organic food retailer. In fiscal year 2011, the company had sales of more than $10 billion and currently has more than 355 stores in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.