History

Inside the Nuclear Fallout Shelter at Papago Park

1 of 12
Joseph Flaherty
New Times took a trip through the offices of the Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management, which still occupies a fallout shelter that was built in 1956.
New Times went inside a fallout shelter, originally built in 1956, at the headquarters of the Maricopa County Department of Emergency Management. The facility on the Papago Park Military Reservation is home to the county's emergency operations center, along with various artifacts dating back to Cold War-era nuclear preparedness campaigns.