The J.M. Evans House, also known as the "Onion Dome," certainly stands out against its more modern backdrop of downtown government buildings. The former home of Dr. J.M. Evans and later that of the Territorial Insane Asylum superintendent Oscar Mahoney was built in 1893 in the Queen Anne cottage style. In 1976, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places and today it houses the Arizona State Archives and Public Records.