Comedian Joan Rivers has died. The 81-year-old performer, writer, and television personality passed away on Thursday, September 4, after suffering complications from throat surgery the week prior.
She will be remembered for her numerous contributions to the entertainment world. From her appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson to hosting her owns shows such as The Late Show, Fashion Police, and decades of stand-up specials, Joan Rivers was not only pop culture icon but a pioneer for Female entertainers
Here are 10 quotes that confirm what many of us already knew: She was a genius, a brassy, ballsy genius.
See also: Joan Rivers Dead at 81
10. "Trust your husband, adore your husband, and get as much as you can in your own name."
9. "The first time I see a jogger smiling, I'll consider it."
8. "I hate euphemisms. 'My Ralphie passed this morning.' No he didn't. He's dead. He's not passing anything. He can't move. That's the whole point, you idiot."
7. "People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made."
6. "I've learned: When you get older, who cares? I don't mince words, I don't hold back. What are you gonna do to me? Fire me? It's been done. Threaten to commit suicide? Done. Take away my show? Done! Not invite to me to the Vanity Fair party? I've never been invited!"
5. "A man can sleep around, no questions asked. But if a woman makes 19 or 20 mistakes, she's a tramp."
4. "I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door--or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present."
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3. "I think anyone who's perfectly happy isn't particularly funny."
2. "I succeed by saying what everyone else is thinking."
1. "Never be afraid to laugh at yourself, after all, you could be missing out on the joke of the century."