Downtown Glendale is Greek for antique shopping (we think). So it's no surprise that within its historic district lies the redbrick building aptly named Antique Haven. The small shop is filled with jewelry, artwork, housewares, accessories, comics, and knickknacks galore.
Our advice: Pace yourself. As with any antique treasure cove, you're going to need some time to sort through and find the good stuff.
Check out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump ...
Five things we're taking home:
1. Oreo Cookie Jar: A cookie jar has never looked so tempting. It's shaped like a gallon of milk with Oreo cookies stuck to it. How could anyone say no? Purchase the cookie jar for $38, but don't feel obligated to fill it with Oreos only. All cookies are welcome.
2. Canvas paintings: Yes, animal print is still all the rage. We're not sure about animal eyes, but these canvas prints are intriguing and might go with your leopard throw. Choose from a tiger, cheetah or lion. Hang one up for $200.
3. Popcorn Maker: This electric popper uses hot air instead of oil. Healthy and delicious popcorn made from a machine that looks like an old-fashioned popcorn stand? Yes, please. This snack maker will cost you $16.
4. Hohner Harmonica: Cool people may play harmonicas, but even cooler people play vintage Hohner harmonicas made in Germany. Lucky for you, this kind of coolness will only cost you $30. Trust us, it will come in handy soon.
5. Shark jaw from Hawaii: If nothing else, this jaw is a reminder that sharks are scary. They have ROWS of sharp teeth that they're not afraid to use. Hang this on your wall or set it on a table. Either way, it's sure to be a conversation piece. Snatch it up for $125.
Four things on the wish list:
1. Antique "Duncan Fife" Sideboard or Buffet: A beautiful piece of furniture that could add style to any room. It can be all yours for $1,600.
2. Crosley Select-O-Matic AM/FM Radio and Cassette Player: Another hipster favorite -- you can listen to new music from a gadget that looks like a vintage tabletop jukebox. Need we say more? Tune in for $75.
3. National Cash Register: Chances are you don't need a cash register, but after seeing this, you may start calculating reasons why you need to have this $245 register made by National Cash Register Company.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
4. Juliana Parque Set: We'll let the brilliance of this parque set do the talking. For $2,200 this piece will do just fine at the next gala, or Madmen party.
We'll pass on... Furby Babies. Furbish is a dead language and we'd like to keep it that way. We don't want this $20 annoyance.
One reason to go back... Owner Deb Hancock has been collecting jewelry for nearly 30 years and her Antique Haven is filled with reasonably priced pieces that will any antique binge.
Antique Haven is located at 5805 W. Glendale Avenue in downtown Glendale. It's open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m..