There are plenty of reasons to like comedian and writer Michael Ian Black. His tweets. His penchant for referring to himself as "very famous." The fact that he sports Crocs on the cover of his new book, You're Not Doing It Right.
But let's move on to the more pressing matter. Do you like him like him? Maybe? Maybe not? Well, here are five reasons why you should.
5. Brutal Honesty Black's new memoir-slash-personal essay collection might leave you laughing. But we'd bet that before completing the first chapter you'll want to give the guy an earnest pat on the back. He tackles his experiences with death, birth, marriage, and general uncomfortableness with self -deprecation and gut-wrenching bluntness. On the table: hating his kids, the likelihood of his marriage ending, and the life-altering powers of Creed.
4. His Next Book is a Meghan McCain Collab Yep. You read that correctly. In June, Random House will release Michael Ian Black's America, You Sexy Bitch: A Love Letter to Freedom, which was co-written by Meghan "Strictly Dickly" McCain. The book is the result of a road trip across the states that the duo took in the summer of 2011.
3. Condiment Loyalty In a recent Vice piece titled Mustard is The King of Condiments, And I Will Prove It, Dickhead, Black wielded his famed wit to defend his relish of choice. A man who's willing to throw down for flavor is more than worthy of our love.
2. Cameos Spotting Black in movies made by his fellow funny folks from troupes Stella and The State is usually easy. Most recently, we caught him in David Wain's Wanderlust playing a jackass of a TV news anchorman alongside longtime collaborator Michael Showalter. And, apart from Paul Rudd's awesome mirror talk scene, it might've been the flick's highlight.
1. You Can Totally Meet Him On Tuesday, April 17, Michael Ian Black will appear at Changing Hands Bookstore to sign his new book (available for $23.99), along with his other available titles, at 7 p.m. Admission is free.