Scottsdale boutique Green with Ivy knows a thing or two about eco-conscious living, but don't worry, no one's forcing you to buy recycled toilet paper. Located at the Borgata in Scottsdale, the store originally opened for parents who have kids with allergies -- mainly selling chemical-free infant and children's products -- but has since expanded to clothing, jewelry, and some home wares - all made without harmful synthetics.
The shop features easy, stylish clothing (for men and women) that we'd actually wear, and the kids' apparel, toys, and accessories are colorful and fun. Owner Ivy Ciolli and her staff want consumers to have environmentally-friendly choices no matter what they're looking for -- whether it's a summery maxi dress, toys for the kids, or paint for the kitchen.
We stopped by to check out the goods. Find out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump.
Things We're Taking Home:
1. I Play Kids Sneakers for $15: They're not just cuter than Crocs: these lightweight, waterproof sneakers are also made with PVC-free material.
2. Clementine Art Supplies: Charming and chemical-free free art supplies ranging from $7 to $16.
3. Mad Pax Backpacks: They're for the kids, but we kind of want to look like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, too: $58.
4. Moon Valley Organics Soap: For $6, wash up naturally in an array of fresh scents like oatmeal, mint kelp, or calendula.
5. Threads 4 Thought Beach hats: Be stylishly prepared for next week's beach vacation: $24.
Things On Our Wishlist:
1. Gypsy Organic Cotton Uneven Maxi Dress: Pretty, simple, and comfortable: $139.
2. Matt & Nat Bags: Hard to tell that these are made from recycled bottles and fabrics, but save up, because these go for around $175.
3. Koralia belts: Created in Greece from recycled copper and coated in silver or 14-carat gold, these belts would add some bling to that maxi dress ($99).
4. Threads 4 Thought Men's Zip Hoodie: Forget Hollister for bonfire-on-the-beach-wear; these are made from organic cotton for $48.
We Left Behind...
Prairie Underground Hoodies. For over $200 bucks each, we'd rather save our money for one of those bags.
Why We'd Go Back...
Where else can you find eco-friendly clothing that doesn't look like a burlap sack? We've added this place to our list of local shopping favorites.
Green With Ivy is located at 6166 N. Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale. They are open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday from 12 to 5 p.m.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.