This building was originally built in 1929 as a medical office, and was the headquarters for Valley National Bank before Valley Center, which is now Chase Tower, was built just across the street from it. Shown here, the building is Valley Bank and Trust, as this is prior to the November 1934 purchase of Consolidated National Bank. The car is a 1931 LaSalle which may have belonged to Valley National Bank president Walter Bimson.
The countdown to Best of Phoenix continues! Last year, we profiled 100 Creatives who made a mark on the local arts scene. This year, we'll have 100 creative representations of Phoenix. No scope or requirement on medium or size -- we'll include photography, painting, sculpture, video, installation, literary, and more. What do you see when you Imagine PHX?
99: Jon Ashcroft's Suspended in Geography
94. Fausto Fernandez's Grid City
93. Chikara Kakizawa's Ship Out of Water
92: Dayvid LeMmon's Process / Gentrification
89.Arnold Guerrero's Camelback Mountain
88.Sean Deckert's Ginae vs. the 12th Street Gang
87.Pete Petrisko's Admiral of Phoenix
86.Quincy Ross' Lone Skyscraper
85.Andrew Armstrong's Illustrated Cityscape
84.Thomas Schultz's Phoenix Artifact
83.Adrian Lesoing's N. Evergreen
82.Suzanne Falk's Kon Tiki Hotel
81.Lindz Lew's Bon Voyeur
80.Kevin Patterson's Phoenix Swamp Beast
79.Ramy Sidarous' Three Windows
78.Will Mejia's Orpheum Theatre
77.Steve Weiss' Portrait of Louis Lee
76.Larry Willis' Apparition on East McDowell
75.Claire Warden's Untitled No. 3
74.Randy Zucker's Dancing Saguaro
73.Robert Brandan Martinez's Medical Cannabis Tax Stamp
72.Edward Jensen's Phoenix Financial Center
70.Mark Dudlik's Phoenix Rebound
66.Eric Iwersen's The Saguaros Have Been Here the Longest
61. A Military Parade in Phoenix (c. 1888)
58. Brad Armstrong's Phoenix Carnival
57. B. Spiderman's "... And I Never Did Get That Pony Either"
56. Colton Brock's 810 N. 4th St.
55. Melanie and Michelle Craven's Twin Cactus
54. 407 E Roosevelt St.
53. Betty Schlueter's "The Sonoran"
52. Saskia Jorda's "You are Here - Part I: Migration"
51. Tempe's Mill Avenue (c. 1930)
50. Michael and Kemper Goodwin's City Hall
49. Cornelius Keyes' Dust Storm Over Phoenix
48. Melissa McGurgan's Home Suite Home: PHX
47. Fred Tieken's Western Civilization
45. Brian Brook's Phoenix Arm
44. Kristin Heggli's Downtown Architecture
43.Jill Johnson's Downtown Is ...
39.Sebastien Millon's "Phoenix. It's Fabulous."
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Have a suggestion for a Phoenix icon by a local creative? Leave it in the comments section or email Claire.Lawton@newtimes.com