Interviews

Sticker Club Girl

Lisa Jacobs, 31, known to many as Sticker Club Girl, is a multitalented designer of handcrafted "wearable art" textiles, ranging from jewelry and tee shirts to purses and fashion-show dresses. Her comfortable central Phoenix studio — a dolled-up carport filled with shelves of design mags, drawers of patterns, and salvaged vintage fabrics from Valley thrift stores — models the love she pours into her designs. The Sticker Club all-girls art night has been going strong since 2002, and, in October 2005, the Downstairs fashion boutique store, co-run by Jacobs, moved to a bigger and better location. The Collectively Operated Local Artists Boutique (C.O.L.A.B.) stocks her creations as well as handmade fashions by talented local artisans.

From Silversmith to Sew Master
I don't consider myself a fashion designer, but, rather, an artist working in the fashion medium. I received a degree in jewelry design from NAU, then started being more of an accessories designer four years ago — bookbinding, sewing purses and wallets using recycled fabric, printmaking and silk screening, and, eventually, clothing.

Hands Off!
Each piece has to go through my hands in order to feel like it's mine. Once you get into higher-end fashion, you are designing one piece and then somebody reproduces the design for you. I like to make my art one-of-a-kind or limited edition, so at this point in my life, I don't see myself mass-producing my designs.

Oldie But Goodie
Because I'm very influenced by the vintage movement, I've been told that my style is very pop and kitschy. Right now, I am working on a series where I take old sweaters and reconstruct them into scarves. Another way I work is from scratch where I'll alter vintage patterns. I'll also take apart clothes that have great fabric in them, like those old muumuu dresses that are basically huge pieces of Hawaiian fabric, and then make multiple items from that one dress.

Join the Sticker Club
Sticker Club started with my friend Lacie Murphy and I. We missed the studio environment from college and wanted to be more productive. Artists generally work alone in their homes or studios, so she and I talked about how we really missed the opportunity of going through the discussion process rather than just talking about the finished product.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
It eventually turned into a group of girls getting together once a week for art night. I affectionately call it Sticker Club because it reminds me of my childhood when my friends came over to trade stickers, make art, jump on the bed and drink Kool-Aid. Now that we're grown-up, there's a little less jumping on the bed, and the Kool-Aid has turned to wine. Anybody who is interested in making art is allowed to come.

What's Your Function?
I notice that a lot of women follow fashion trends so closely that they forget what's functional and flattering to their own figures. Like gaucho pants — they weren't flattering on anybody but the model-esque figures. Yet, because the fashion industry told women what they should be wearing right now, that's what a lot of women wore.

Sharp-Dressed Girly Man
For men, there are trends that I really like. A lot of my male friends wear female-style low-rise pants that they found in the women's section because it fits them better. I like that, because the idea of buying clothes that fit your body is a great way to shop.

Indie Shop 'Til You Drop
C.O.L.A.B. is a comprehensive store with fashions for men, women and children. It's truly a collective effort between a wonderful team of local designers, because no one person runs the store. About 95 percent of the goods are handmade locally, and the remaining 5 percent comprises vintage clothing. Each designer gets a very large portion of the sale — only 15 percent goes to the store for expenses and advertising — so it's a perfect way to provide affordable local fashion to the community.

Dressed To Self-Impress
I dress for fun, mood, and, of course, for style. But for the most part, it's about feeling good about the way I look and not appearing like everybody else. I want to be an individual when I get dressed. I don't care if my clothes aren't in the latest magazines.

KEEP PHOENIX NEW TIMES FREE... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Steve Jansen
Contact: Steve Jansen