Looking for ways to fill up your weekend? Here are your five best bets for getting out and about.
5. Villain Vocals Karaoke @ Roosevelt Pop-Up Park Arrive decked out in your most villainous get-up (a twirl-able mustache and devilish cackle will do in a pinch) for an evening of karaoke at the pop-up park next to Monorchid. The crook-centric karaoke "sing-a-ling" turns up the volume from 8 to 10 p.m. Participation is free.
4. Arm Wrestling For Art @ SMoCA Lounge The brotastic world of arm-wrestling meets modern art on Friday at 7 p.m. when a pro arm wrestler will give away a few rough 'n' tumble tabletop battle secrets in SMoCA Lounge. Then, learned locals will wrestle in hopes of winning an original Eric Fischl sketch. Tickets are $10 and proceeds go toward the new Good 'N Plenty artist grant. Call 480-499-8587.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Phoenix Fashion Week Model Auditions @ Axis/Radius You wanna be on top? Local models can audition to walk the runway at Phoenix Fashion Week this fall by getting their skinny selves to model auditions Axis/Radius on Saturday at 11 a.m. The PFW crew is looking for 30 women and 10 men that will compete for the title of Model of the Year.
2. Bastille Day @ Musical Instrument Museum Sport the Frenchies' flag on Saturday for the MIM's celebration of Bastille Day from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Entertainment includes accordionist Tony Putrino, baroque dance performance, and singer Cecile Hortensia. On the educational front, Michael Sarda will give a lecture titled "Music in the Time of the French Revolution," and Alliance Française will lead an introductory French language workshop. Admission to daytime events is included with general admission, $15 for adults.
1. Street League DC Pro Tour @ Jobing.com Arena Rob Drydek's indoor skate competition rolls into Glendale this weekend for a tricked-out, two-day battle between pros including Nyjah Huston, Sean Malto, Chaz Ortiz, and Paul Rodriguez. Get on board at Jobing.com Arena on Saturday at 5 p.m. and Sunday at 3:15 p.m. Tickets are $15 and up.