Between St. Patty's shenanigans (see our full guide to partying here) and the arty madness that is Art Detour 24 will surely be (there's a map for that), you're in for a busy weekend. Should you find a gap in said days off, here are five options for filling it.
5. Burlesque University Student Showcase @ Rips Some go to college to get more knowledge. And others, well, their specialty isn't necessarily books.
Recent grads from esteemed Burlesque U will tout their tassels, PhDs in pasties, and mastery of the fine art of shaking what their mommas gave 'em at Rips Ales & Cocktails on Friday at 9 p.m. Admission is $6. See more here.
4. Underground Publishers Convention @ Lawn Gnome For a brainy afternoon of underground lit, hit up indie bookstore Lawn Gnome on Saturday. Rub elbows with (and get insider secrets from) local and national indie publishers of comics, zines, and books while taking in quickie lectures, a poetry slam, and, later in the evening, live music.
Admission is free from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is $5 for the live entertainment starting at 3. See more here.
3. Art Detour @ Sixth Street More than 50 galleries and studios will open their doors to artwalkers during Art Detour, and being spread out over a handful of 'hoods, it might be easiest to plan out your Detour experience by neighborhood.
For instance, some of our favorite spots along Sixth Street will be in on the art partying. Nostra Style House will host a fashion show (with pieces from its shop, Annie Boomer Vintage, and neighboring Butter Toast) with music, art on display from Edward Dizan Castaneda, and live art from Hector Arellano, Mark "Gwiz" Gallegos, and Chuy Lopez on Saturday and Sunday.
Admission is free. See more here.
2. Scottsdale's Ultimate St. Patrick's Day Block Party @ Craftsman Court Take your vaguely Irish partying to the streets of Scottsdale for an evening of reveling at Craftsman Court. Come for the booze, stay for the live music, and stick around for the bar crawl at neighboring watering holes Dos Gringos, Upper Deck, and RockBar.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The greenest of days kicks off at 3 p.m. Tickets are $15 and up. See more here.
1. Rhys Darby @ Stand Up Live You might not recognize Rhys Darby by name. But if you're a Flight of the Conchords fan, you'd know him as Murray Hewitt, manager of Bret and Jemaine. While Darby's standup routine won't likely include the ballad of "Leggy Blonde" (or mention of the plagiaristic Crazy Dogggz), chances are better than good that hilarity will ensue regardless.