We know the saying, "don't judge a book by its cover", but what about beer? What if you had to choose 10 beers based solely on the artwork that covered the glass bottle each came in? The ten beers below would be on the top of our list if we to cast aside silly things like beer style or alcohol content.
8. Dirty Guera Blonde Ale, Nimbus Brewery, Tucson, AZ - Hot chicks, monkey face, and a little cactus. All of the Nimbus labels are little works of art but the Dirty Guera gets us every time.
7. Delirium Nocturnum, Brouwerij Huyghe, Belgium - White bottle, shiny blue foil, and a pink elephant. A PINK ELEPHANT. Of course we are going to try this one, pink elephants are the best.
6. Mortality Stout, Reaper Ale, Lake Elsinore, Ca - Just like the name suggests, Reaper Ale definitely crosses over to the dark side with the artwork on their bottles. We like the use of the clock and crow to represent your impending doom after drinking this stout. It's only 7.75% but it might do you in.
5. Celebrator, Ayinger, Germany - Goats on a Doppelbock are no surprise (back in the day, ein bock translated to "billy goat" in Munich) but we really like the look of the Celebrator's label and it even has a little goat charm that hangs around the bottle's neck! (Full disclosure; the first time we purchased this beer, it was solely based on the goat charm)
4. Tail Waggin' Double White Ale, Grand Teton Brewing, Victor, ID - This little brewery out of Idaho puts out an awesome line of beers with really cute labels. Their Au natural almost made our list but the dogs beat out the naked lady. They almost make us wish we were sitting in the back of that truck.
3. The Lost Abbey Witch's Wit, Port Brewing, San Marcos, CA - We like the entire Lost Abbey line. They are beautiful and creative mini works of art. Others disagree and feel they are offensive and should be taken off the shelves due to it being offensive and promoting violence against women and witches. When we saw Gerome's painting, The Christian Martyr's last Prayer, we didn't ask The Getty to take it down. Either way, get your hands on one of these now, Port Brewing has announced that they will be changing the label.
2. Polygamy Porter, Wasatch Brewery, Salt Lake City, UT - This label isn't just pretty, it's ingenious.
1. Trois Pistoles, Unibroue, Quebec, Canada - One word --- Pegasus. No other beer label even comes close to being as truly epic as Unibroue's Trois Pistoles. Except for all the other Unibroue beers. But this one is our favorite.
What beers make you want to grab the bottle off the shelf no matter what may lurk inside? Let us know in the comments section