Without working ourselves into too much of a premature lather let's note: 30 Rock is a few episodes away from its season six finale, which airs May 17, and NBC has yet to renew the Thursday night standby for another season.
And it sure seems possible that the premise of this week's live episode (in which the network decides to stop funding the show-within-the-show TGS as a live program) is creator Tina Fey's way of dropping yet another hint that we're rapidly nearing the end.
Combine that with Alec Baldwin's near constant talk that the show's end is nigh, Fey recently dishing on The View that "the end of the show is on the horizon," and superfans are thisclose to a Jenna Maroney-style meltdown.
If they're to linger without word of renewal for much longer, it's only natural to consider the possibility that soon Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghy, and their gaggle of weirdo coworkers and love interests won't be around anymore. (Syndication and Netflix Instant Watch will not compensate.)
But the good times in studio 6H have been plenty and it seems like a good time to look back. Here are nine favorite 30 Rock moments in no particular order:
9. Muffin Top Whole grain. Low fat. Jenna's hit pop song makes a glittery debut. And you know you want a piece of that.
8. Night Cheese Liz Lemon works her way through a block of cheese while wearing a slanket. Bob Seger would approve.
7. Bon Jovi Post-root canal, a drug addled Liz mistakes a tree for Jon Bon Jovi.
6. Queen of Jordan Tracy's wife Angie becomes a reality TV star in the greatest Bravo parody ever recorded.
5. Top That! Kenneth the page entertains the TGS audience with (what else?) the rap from the terrible/awesome movie Teen Witch. Fun fact: Robyn Lively, who played said witch, makes a cameo in Liz's high school reunion episode.
4. Blue Man Tracy's crazy combo of meds make him hallucinate (unfortunately medicine is not an exact science, according to Dr. Spaceman) and he sees a furry little blue man played by Rachel Dratch. Bonus: Jack Donaghy explains his wardrobe to Lemon. "What am I a farmer?"
3. Jack vs. Condoleeza Jack revisits his old flame, Condi Rice, after his wife, Hot Box reporter Avery Jessup, is taken captive in North Korea.
2. Werewolf Bar Mitzvah This wins for Tracy musical moments, with A Jordan Christmas in a close second.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
1. Cheesy Blasters Liz's love of disgusting, processed food comes with a cartoon cat and a jingle. Razzmatazz.