This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
59. Baiynchaiv Crepes at Reathrey Sekong
Between the Cambodian music playing not-so-softly in the background and the heat in the restaurant's dining room, it's easy to imagine you're dining somewhere exotic when you're at Reathrey Sekong in Central Phoenix. The bold flavors and smells can easily transport you somewhere far away from the bustle of Indian School Road. Enter the driveway and pull around to a parking lot in the back, and though the place may look deserted from outside, you'll find a dim dining room decorated with modern style when you step inside.
The entire menu is worth exploring including dishes such as the Pleah Beef Salad, a cold dish of citrus, peppers, cilantro, and beef, and Phnom Penh Noodle Soup, a noodle soup of Cambodian-Chinese orign that's loaded with pork intestines, liver, and heart and comes with a side of cilantro, bean sprouts, and lime. For a sharable starter or a light lunch, try the Baiynchaiv Crepes.
Reminiscent of Vietnamese banh xeo, these crispy rice flour cakes come stuffed with well-seasoned ground pork and butterflied shrimp. Crunchy slices of red onion and bean sprouts provide texture, while the whole dish gets sweetness from just a touch of fragrant coconut. On the side you'll find a heaping pile of fresh mint and cilantro, as well as a bowl of tart vinegar sauce to drizzle generously over the top. The result is a medley of flavors of textures that make a perfect summertime meal.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
68. Green Chile Burrito at Rito's Mexican Food
67. Aloo Tikki Chaat at Little India
66. Oysters Rockefeller at The Salt Cellar Restaurant
65. Bún Thit Nuong at Hue Gourmet
64. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate at The Gladly
63. Fried Green Tomato Sandwich at Welcome Diner
62. Crawfish at Angry Crab Shack
61. The Lady at Short Leash Hot Dogs
60. Torta Ahogada at Tortas Paquime
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!