From now until we publish the 2016 edition of Best of Phoenix, New Times is naming 100 Tastemakers — members of our local culinary community who help shape the way we eat, drink, and think about food in Phoenix. Some you'll know, and for others, it'll be a first introduction, but each person on our list deserves a nod for helping make our city so delicious. Oh, and while you're here, be sure to check out our list of 100 Creatives.
64. Ryan Probst of Odelay Bagel Co.
Before Ryan Probst started his career as a professional baker, he made a name for himself in the local music scene. The Arizona native graduated from Arizona State University with a degree in English literature, then spent the next several years focusing on making music, including playing guitar in the Tempe-based band Dry River Yacht Club. He's since left the band to pursue his love affair with bagels.
At Odelay Bagel Co. in Ahwatukee, Probst makes every single bagel by hand using a process that requires a full 24 hours to complete. Along with a dozen different types of handmade bagels, diners can also have their pick of house-made schmears including options such as Horseradish Bacon and Honey Almond.
Today, the musician-turned-baker dishes on the music festival you have to see and shares his best advice for amateur bakers.
My go to place for eating healthy in metro Phoenix is Desert Roots Kitchen in Tempe. They have an amazing vegan menu which changes daily. Everything is super fresh and their smoothies are literally a meal.
The best-kept secret in Phoenix actually isn't in Phoenix at all, it's 45 miles away at Apache Lake. Every year when the weather cools off Paul ["PC" Cordone] and Brannon [Kleinlein] jam 60 bands into two days of music at the Apache Lake Music Festival. The entire Phoenix scene is transported to a small resort surrounded by incredible canyons. If you haven't been, its a MUST for any Phoenician.
Ten years ago I was attending Mesa Community College, waiting tables, and playing music. I never thought I'd be waking up at 3 a.m. to bake every day! That used to be bedtime.
My best advice for an amateur baker is to experiment. No recipe is universal, and everything from elevation to humidity can affect your bread. Adjust and make the recipe your own.
Right now my baking playlist is 100 percent sourdough. We've been developing a starter over the last several weeks, and it's all that's been on my mind.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
81. Erich Schultz of Steadfast Farm Shares His Go-To Place For Beer That Tastes "Like Arizona"
80. Jeff and Leah Huss of Huss Brewing Company
79. Aaron Pool of Gadzooks Enchiladas and Soup
78. Diana Santospago of The Maine Lobster Lady food truck
77. Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft and Nico Heirloom Kitchen
76. Lauren Bailey of Upward Projects
75. Rodney Hu of Arizona Distilling Company and Yucca Tap Room
74. Jacob Cutino of Homeboy's Hot Sauce
73. Country and Sergio Velador of Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
72. Dean Thomas of Cornish Pasty Co.
71. Jennifer Caraway of The Joy Bus
70. Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ
69. Jared Allen of Proof Artisan Breads
68. Steve McFate of McFate Brewing Company
67. Mel Mecinas of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
66. Jessa and Dan Koppenhofer of Gilbert Farmers Market
65. Todd and Kelly Bostock of Dos Cabezas WineWorks